- David Brook's Moral Bucket List, My Dying Friend and the Cross of Christ
- Will David Brooks Lay Down His Life for his Readers?
- Notes from Tim Keller's Sermon "Joy"
- Links Concerning Ken Wilson's "Letter to My Congregation"
- Notes from Tim Keller's "The Gospel and Your Self"
- Outline of Tim Keller's Gospel Realizing
- Wisdom: What is It? by Tim Keller (What is the Fear of the LORD: Negative Fear vs. Positive Fear)
- Annie Dillard Quote on Crash Helmets needed for worship
- Notes on Tim Keller's Sermon "Into Jerusalem"
- Screwtape Letters 23
Category CloudBlog note book review book writing CRC Culture commentary Daily Links and Notes Devotional Reflection How to become a Christian Institutional Church Link Compilations Links Missional On the way to Sunday's sermon Pastoral Identity philosophical reflection Quotations Saved Blog Comments Saved CRCVoices Posts Sermon Illustrations Sermon Outline Sermon Recordings Tech tools theological the self Tweets Uncategorized Understanding the Bible Wisdom
Tag Cloud#crcstructure #idealclassisseries Acts Advent Advent 2014 age of decay age to come atheism Bauckham Belhar book of Leviticus Calvin College Chesterton Christmas City Church San Francisco CRC Factions crc structure creation 2.0 CS Lewis David Brooks denomination Easter Esther Exodus Facebook Genesis Greg Boyd Heidelberg Catechism hell idolatry James John Calvin John Suk Jonathan Haidt Justification Kathy Keller Katy Perry Keller Kenneth Bailey Kierkegaard Lent Leviticus marriage Meme of the week Miroslav Volf Moses Mouw Newbigin NT Wright Palm Sunday Peter Enns Peter Kreeft Piper Prayer raising of lazarus reflected self relational polarity Religion resurrection Rob Bell Ryan Bell SSM Steve Jobs Synod Synod2015 the book of exodus The book of Leviticus the book of Numbers the Gospel of John the self book The Ten Commandments Tim Keller Tolkien Walker Percy Yancey
- RT @EricJDirksen: @PaulVanderKlay Did you see this? npr.org/2015/04/13/399… 9 hours ago
- Will David Brooks Lay Down His Life for his Readers? wp.me/p10bzQ-3cf 10 hours ago
- Jesus and Judgment flnx.co/Bdtb0 from @jrdkirk 1 day ago
- David Brook's Moral Bucket List, My Dying Friend and the Cross of Christ wp.me/p10bzQ-3bF 2 days ago
- Links Concerning Ken Wilson's "Letter to My Congregation" wp.me/p10bzQ-3bn via @wordpressdotcom 3 days ago
- No Marriage Is an Island flnx.co/GbPze -via 4 days ago
- Checking Charlie Hebdo’s Privilege flnx.co/2ZJk1 6 days ago
- Wouldn't the Resurrection of Jesus have been a great time for Him to drop that offensive immoral Old Testament? wp.me/p10bzQ-3ap 1 week ago
- RT @frsimon: @SuperNaturalAn2 @PaulVanderKlay It's also the London Tube Map... 1 week ago
- RT @scotmcknight: Excellent post by @Tim_Suttle about a recent @RELEVANT article: ow.ly/LKHrC fb.me/3L5i1zdDY 1 week ago
- RT @frsimon: Oh Dave Walker, you genius... http://t.co/uXH7mZ0y7X 1 week ago
- RT @PewReligion: Christianity is poised to continue shift from Europe to Africa, according to our projections: pewrsr.ch/1H1arcN http:… 1 week ago
- RT @ERBks: The 5 Best Kindle Ebook Deals now running! #ChurchHistory #Poetry #CSLewis MORE erb.kingdomnow.org/5-kindle-ebook… http://t.co/eQBZiZQ9IX 2 weeks ago
- RT @freddiedeboer: true vs good,@again wp.me/p28Bya-Uj 2 weeks ago
Being without Story
Nearly every ancient civilization had creation stories. These stories weren’t usually so interested in where the “stuff” around us came from, they were usually more interested in “what is it for”.
The creation story of the Hebrews found in their Scriptures in Genesis chapter one says that this world is good and it was made for its makers enjoyment and glory.
We moderns live in a strange time where we have an account of the material origins of the universe without a story about what it is for. The implicit message of this universe absent a story to give it meaning is that we can give it anyone we choose. We can decide what life is for or what the universe is for because we are the only creatures with a large enough brain to be able to create stories. We make meaning.
When peoples with creation stories engage people without them many atheists will declare that they also have see morality, meaning and wonder. The problem with all of those people who have stories rooting in their religions or ethnic ancestry is that they are too rigid and these stories become grounds for fighting. Continue reading